MAXtoA 4.3.2 introduces Arnold 22.214.171.124 and is a performance release bringing important optimizations on GPU, toon shading, and imagers.
- Autodesk 3ds Max 2020, 2021, or 2022.
- Windows 10 or later, with the Visual Studio 2019 redistributable.
- CPUs need to support the SSE4.1 instruction set.
- GPU rendering requires an NVIDIA GPU of the Turing, Volta, Pascal, or Maxwell architecture. We recommend using the 461.40 (Quadro), 461.40 (GeForce), or higher drivers. See Getting Started with Arnold GPU for more information.
- Optix™ denoiser requires an NVidia GPU with CUDA™ Compute Capability 5.0 and above.
Token support to Auto Convert TX: texture lookup shaders (such as the Arnold image node) now convert the entire set of textures to .tx (as defined by the <udim> token).
Adding or removing imagers does not trigger a render anymore: after a render pass is finished, adding or removing some imagers (all except the denoisers and the light mixer) modifies the output image without restarting the render.
Photometric lights for the light mixer: the Max photometric lights can now be added to light groups through the Arnold light group manager, and taken into account by the light mixer imager.
The light mixer now supports up to 256 light groups.
Changing some render settings that do not affect the output result doesn't refresh the IPR anymore.
Added support of undo/redo in the light group manager.
- Light and Shadow linking: The render delegate now supports light and shadow linking. (usd#412)
- Motion blur for the Point Instancer: The render delegate now calculates motion blur when using the point instancer. (usd#653)
- Half and Double precision: Storing data using half or double precision is now supported in both the render delegate and procedural. (usd#669)
- Pause and Resume: Pausing and resuming renders are now supported in the render delegate. (usd#595)
- NodeGraph schemas: The procedural now supports using the NodeGraph schema for shader networks. (usd#678)
- Crease Sets: The procedural now supports crease sets on polymesh. (usd#694)
- Purpose: Usd Purpose is now supported in the procedural. (usd#698)
- Transform2D: The procedural now supports remapping UsdTransform2D to built-in Arnold nodes. (usd#517)
- Write with default values: The scene format now supports optionally writing parameters with default values. (usd#720)
- Velocity blur: The procedural now uses the velocity attribute to create motion keys for point-based shapes, when there are no position keys or the topology changes between frames. (usd#221)
- Multi-Threading: The procedural now uses USD's WorkDispatcher which improves the performance of multi-threaded expansion in many cases. Examples of the performance improvements. (usd#690)
- maxtoa#910 Current task progress bar is broken when rendering multiple frame
- maxtoa#1036 Imagers: denoisers not showing the right AOVs in ARV
- maxtoa#1079 Imagers can be animated but are not trackable in Track View
maxtoa#1081 Light mixer: the animation of a deleted light group is transferred to another group
- maxtoa#1083 Light Group Manager becomes very slow with hundreds of lights and groups
maxtoa#1088 Material editor performance degradation
- maxtoa#1090 Crash trying to undo the action of making unique an instanced/referenced light
maxtoa#1092 Crash when cloning an object with the spring controller
- maxtoa#1103 Imagers break the ARV refresh when switching camera
- maxtoa#1104 Shader branches containing OSL maps fail to be imported (fixed for single-output OSL nodes only)
- maxtoa#1106 OSL map causing Max to crash when thumbnails are rendered in the material editor