- Houdini, Houdini FX, Houdini Indie and Houdini Education
- Windows 10 or later, with the Visual Studio 2019 redistributable.
- Linux with at least glibc 2.17 and libstdc++ 4.8.5 (gcc 4.8.5). This is equivalent to RHEL/CentOS 7.
- macOS 10.13 to 10.15. Note that macOS 11 Big Sur is not certified.
- CPUs need to support the SSE4.1 instruction set.
- GPU rendering works on Windows and Linux only and requires an NVIDIA GPU of the Ampere, Turing, Volta, Pascal, or Maxwell architecture. We recommend using the 460.39 or higher drivers on Linux and 461.40 (Quadro), 461.40 (GeForce), or higher on Windows. See Getting Started with Arnold GPU for more information.
- Optix™ denoiser requires an NVidia GPU with CUDA™ Compute Capability 5.0 and above.
Light Mixer imager: This new imager makes it possible to interactively edit the contribution of light group AOVs during and after rendering without restarting the render (core#9838). Bloom in imager_lens_effect: The imager_lens_effect now implements a bloom effect. Bloom or glow is a post-processing effect that will blur pixels above a given threshold across the frame to simulate light bleeding on an imperfect lens. See the (core#9728).
Light Mixer imager: This new imager makes it possible to interactively edit the contribution of light group AOVs during and after rendering without restarting the render (core#9838).
Bloom in imager_lens_effect: The imager_lens_effect now implements a bloom effect. Bloom or glow is a post-processing effect that will blur pixels above a given threshold across the frame to simulate light bleeding on an imperfect lens. See the (core#9728).
- OpenColorIO v2 support: Arnold now uses an updated version of OCIO and is able to load and run OpenColorIO v2 configurations. It is fully backward compatible and will load and run existing configurations as before.(core#7827)
- Up to 256 light AOVs supported: The number of supported light AOVs is now 256, it was 15 previously (core#7802).
- Faster cell_noise: The cell_noise shader is now about 2.5x faster on CPU and 4.3x faster on GPU. In order to achieve this, we had to make a look-breaking change that manifests as a different random seed (core#9866).
- New default values for Standard Surface: The base and base_color parameters on standard_surface are now respectively set to 1.0, and (0.8, 0.8, 0.8) by default. Changing
baseto 1 after connecting
base_colorto a texture is such a common use case that it's better to swap the two defaults and avoid having to adjust
baseevery time (core#9128 standardsurface#15)
- Improved progressive sampling: faster and higher-quality sampling improves progressive and adaptive rendering performance (core#10023).
- Constant color detection in maketx: Added constant color detection to maketx. maketx/AiMakeTx will by default add the
- OpenEXR maketx passthrough: OpenEXR file inputs to maketx/AiMakeTx will now by default generate an OpenEXR based .tx files instead of TIFF based .tx files.
--format tifor specifying a non-tx extension in the output filename will still allow for using other filetypes (core#6792).
- maketx allows by default half TIFFs: maketx/AiMakeTx will now by default allow creating TIFF based .tx files with half floats. Before, passing
-d halfwould by default produce a 32-bit float TIFF .tx file. Beware that most tools do not support half TIFF, so float TIFF or half OpenEXR should be used when the .tx file needs to be used outside of Arnold (core#6792).
- Faster maketx half TIFF generation: Generating half TIFF .tx files should be several times faster on certain Linux machines (core#10224).
- Support for OSL shader metadata: Metadata from OSL shaders are now visible on Arnold nodes and can be read via the AiMetadata APIs (core#6718).
Limit number of per-light log messages: If there are more than 100 lights, we stop outputting per-light sampling log messages at the regular log verbosity and instead only output these at debug level verbosity. This should help avoid "spamming" the logs when there are many lights in a scene (core#10098).
- Faster Autodesk Analytics Program: ADPClientService should upload data more quickly and consume fewer CPU resources, especially when there is no internet access (core#9776).
- Updated single-user licensing: Autodesk Desktop Licensing has been updated to version 184.108.40.20654. This version is not compatible with previous Arnold versions and should be installed automatically from plugin installers if single-user licensing is used, or can be updated manually from the Arnold License Manager. It is required only for single-user licensing, network licensing (AdskFlex) and RLM are not affected (core#289).
- More accurate crash report: When crashes occur while Arnold is running, a stacktrace is printed out. The stacktrace report should now be more reliable and slightly easier to understand (core#9156).
- More profile blocks added: Most of the Arnold API now has associated profiling blocks so it is easier to determine which Arnold components are consuming the most render time (core#10272).
- Interactive imagers in kick: kick now displays imagers in interactive mode (core#9836).
- Faster Apple M1 performance: Arnold should now be able to properly use both the big and small M1 cores (still under Rosetta2) (core#10062).
- OpenVDB 7.1: Arnold now uses OpenVDB 7.1. More information about the changes between OpenVDB 4 and 7.1 can be found here. (core#9861)
- Imager support: including using the
bypassflag as enable parameter (htoa#1538, htoa#1615)
- Imager IPR: IPR support for imager creation, parameter changes, linking, and deletion (htoa#1633, htoa#1640, htoa#1651)
- Light Mixer Setup: Populate and update
light_mixerimager with light groups in the scene (htoa#1621)
- Mutiparm support: multiparms can be defined via metadata for custom nodes, and this is used for the
light_mixerimager (htoa#1596, htoa#1597, htoa#1599)
- Array defaults: Adding
houdini.defaultmetadata to support overrides of parameter array defaults (htoa#1601)
- Optix denoiser: Support the the
optixdenoiser via imagers without the
- USD material overrides: Support material overrides using the
shop_materialpathatttribute for packed
- Render settings LOP updates: Updates to
RenderSettingsLOP adding search paths and
autobumpvisibility ray settings (htoa#1611, htoa#1609)
- htoa#761 Fix sticking first
rampkey, and correct the parameter disable logic
- htoa#982 Fix
forcelightsparameter on the Arnold ROP
htoa#1521 Per light AOV's display incorrectly in render view on Linux
- htoa#1582 Allow optional
- htoa#1608 Remove subsurface ray visibility from RenderGeometrySettings LOP
- htoa#1618 Fixed crash rendering
- htoa#1630 Fix a crash updating
rampshaders in IPR
- htoa#1632 Fix IPR crash on node deletion
- htoa#1636 Skip bad color spaces referenced in
ociocolor space families
- htoa#1641 Fix to allow installer silent mode
- htoa#1642 Create
usdprocedurals for all usdType intrinisic packed primitive types
- htoa#1643 USD packed primitives passthrough for inactive objects prevent
- htoa#1648 Light mixer per element array update during IPR
- htoa#1649 Fix override for usd packed primitives
core#10278 100% progress is not always printed.
- core#10074 Blackbody: bad XYZ color normalization.
- core#9982 Clamp negative values with thin_film and transmission.
- core#10233 clip_geo: stops working if you tumble the camera in IPR.
- core#9744 Crash due to out-of-memory when rendering.
- core#10222 [GPU] Fix Arnold not being able to recover from recoverable exceptions.
- core#10208 [GPU] Remove usage of scientific notation for log progress.
- core#10175 Mix of two standard_surfaces with transmission hangs the render.
- core#10149 Points should be visible in the viewport API in polygon mode.
- core#10091 quad_light can produce rare black samples.
- core#10283 Remove MacOS xcrun installation prompt when crash occurs.
- core#10259 Report error code when NVML fails to initialize.
- usd#592 Invalid face-varying primvars crash the render delegate.
- usd#596 Invalid USD is produced if polymesh is made of triangles and nsides is empty.
- usd#481 std::string, TfToken, and SdfAssetPath typed VtArrays are not converted when setting primvars.
- usd#619 Several built-in render buffer types are not translated to the right Arnold AOV type.
- usd#634 Fixing disappearing meshes when playing back animation.
- usd#621 UVs not read from facevarying primvar if indexes are not present.
- usd#638 Motion start and motion end is not set reading animated transformation.