An extension is usually a translator associated with a Maya node used to transform it into Arnold nodes when exporting or rendering scenes.
In practice this will allow two things to us:
- Being able to render unsupported nodes by MtoA. This can be because they are unsupported Maya nodes, or because they are custom Maya nodes.
- Being able to define a new behavior for current supported Maya nodes. So the user will be able to select the supported behavior or a new one defined by the extension writer.
Almost any Maya node could be extended, but there are some restrictions on what Maya nodes will be extended. Simply, you can assume the any visible DAG node will be exported as well as all the DG nodes connected to a exported node. Also, all the nodes that have a dependency node will be exported.
- Creating a basic extension
- Adding specific Arnold attributes to a node
- Multiple translators for the same node
- Translator of a custom node