KtoA 22.214.171.124 introduces Arnold core 126.96.36.199
- Windows 10 or later, with the Visual Studio 2019 redistributable.
- Linux with at least glibc 2.17 and libstdc++ 4.8.5 (gcc 4.8.5). This is equivalent to RHEL/CentOS 7.
- CPUs need to support the SSE4.1 instruction set.
- GPU rendering works on Windows and Linux only and requires an NVIDIA GPU of the Ampere, Turing, Volta, Pascal, or Maxwell architecture. We recommend using the 460.39 or higher drivers on Linux and 461.40 (Quadro), 461.40 (GeForce), or higher on Windows. See Getting Started with Arnold GPU for more information.
- Optix™ denoiser requires an NVidia GPU with CUDA™ Compute Capability 5.0 and above.
- Download KtoA for your platform and Katana version.
- Run the self-extracting installer. See the installation steps here.
- Support for Katana 5.0: Katana 5.0 is now supported (KTOA-725)
- Improve ArnoldIn: Numerous improvements to this node and set of ops have been added, including standalone material import. (KTOA-720)
- Translate Arnold nurbs and sphere primitives correctly. Known issues: box, cylinder, cone and plane primitives are still missing.
- Translate almost all known camera parameters
- Animated FOV values, filtermap, shutter curves and types, fisheye autocrop, radial distortion and lens tilt/shift are all now supported
- Cylinder, VR and UV cameras now properly supported
- Known issues:
- uv_remap not supported yet
- VR camera: merge shader not supported yet
- Custom cameras (materials with
arnoldCameraslot) not supported yet
- Include standalone shader-like objects in the scenegraph (operators, imagers, AOV shaders, unassigned shaders, color managers)
- Ignore '/root/materials' prefix by default to clean up names in the scenegraph when importing from Katana-generated Arnold data
- Fix 'st' arbitrary data to not confuse the Hydra-based viewer in Katana
- Warn about materials that can't be translated properly (to stderr)
- Fixed a bug where a child location could have child materials but they wouldn't be translated
- Fix some potential crashes
- Fix a bug where standins would not get the right cached scene for looking up materials during translation
- Multiple universe support: Arnold core multiple universe features are now utilized, where an explicit universe is created as needed, and a global universe within the main Katana process is shared. Users should see very little functionality change, but any plugin or op authors should be aware of this and contact us if you need any help making use of this feature correctly. (KTOA-731)
- Triplanar shader enhancements: the additions to the triplanar shader are supported. (KTOA-750, KTOA-751)
A wide range of shading effects such as snow, dust, sand, and moss, can be achieved using input_per_axis (Y). Render times of a simple scene with volume_scatter.samples=30: AOV denoising with the OptiX denoiser: Upgraded from the Optix 6 to Optix 7 denoiser. This newer denoiser supports denoising AOVs in a way that allows the denoised result to be compositable. Previous OptiX denoisers had no guarantees that the denoised results would combine correctly. ARNOLD-11726
Rollover images to view with and without triplanar.input_per_axis (Y)
AA AA_max Arnold 7.0 Arnold 7.1 4 50 5:28min (node update: 5:20min) 8 sec (node update: 0 sec)
AiFindDriverType() is now case insensitive, so asking, for instance, for a "png", "PNG", or "Png" will all return the png driver. This can be observed with
kick -o, which will now work for different case types. ARNOLD-11934
TextureResolveUseExistingTx stage is now much faster when many threads are trying to open textures for the first time with the use existing tx option enabled. On a 128-core machine we saw about an 8x speedup. ARNOLD-11689
A wide range of shading effects such as snow, dust, sand, and moss, can be achieved using input_per_axis (Y).
Render times of a simple scene with volume_scatter.samples=30:
AOV denoising with the OptiX denoiser: Upgraded from the Optix 6 to Optix 7 denoiser. This newer denoiser supports denoising AOVs in a way that allows the denoised result to be compositable. Previous OptiX denoisers had no guarantees that the denoised results would combine correctly. ARNOLD-11726
options.imager_overhead_target_percent which can be used to control how often imagers should run during a render. An
imager_overhead_target_percent setting of 0 will cause the imagers to only run at the end of the render. The default value of 1 will periodically run the imager during the render so that the overhead from running the imager is no more than approximately 1%. ARNOLD-11750
instanceidxs_ prefix on the instancer node. ARNOLD-12142
options.reference_time attribute is now also used as the time the grid data exists, so velocity motion blur is relative to this reference time. Usually this is zero, which for frame-relative time values means "on the frame", which is typical of OpenVDB simulation data. ARNOLD-12143
- Dropped support for Katana 3.5: Katana 3.6 or newer is required to use the KtoA 4.1 release series.
- Python 3 compatibility: For Katana 5.0 and newer, Python 3 is required, and KtoA does not support python 2.7 except for Katana 3.6, 4.0 and 4.5 release series. (KTOA-745)
- Moved location of instance source procedural: the procedural KtoA uses to improved instancing performance has moved from the RenderBin folder to the RenderPlugins folder. You may need to update ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH if rendering a .ass file to include this directory. (KTOA-762)
- KTOA-733 - Exported ass files have ".temp.exr" as output file (most cases eliminated)
- KTOA-743 - Exception when instance source array is too big
- KTOA-757 - ArnoldIn crash in live rendering with many locations generated
- KTOA-758 - Single-User Licensing fails at rendering. SDK validation failed
- KTOA-760 - Imagers are not interactive/refreshing anymore
- KTOA-770 - Python future module not found
- KTOA-776 - ArnoldIn cannot load usda file