HIGHLIGHTED NEW FEATURES
- Many rendering optimizations in Arnold 4.2 including faster ray accel build, subdivision, displacement, polymesh processing, rendering of many-light scenes, backlighting, SSS, image shader and deep output.
- Improved quality in motion blur sampling and indirect specular sampling.
- Smoother bump near shadow terminator and reduced edge darkening in Cook-Torrance BRDF.
- The Standard shader can now output refraction opacity as an AOV. It is advised to write the complete RGBA set of channels, since the alpha component will constitute a mask that can be used to mix it in with the regular opacity, multiplying in refraction opacity to regular opacity based on the mask.
- Support for Custom shutter shapes.
- Support for Rolling shutter.
- trace_set shader implemented.
- ICE improvements: Hierarchies can be shape-instanced and texturable rectangular ICE shapes.
- sib_texture2d_grid, txt2d-grid shaders and Factory Modulus Shader implemented.
- This will be the last version supporting Softimage 2012.
- We are statically linking OIIO in Windows, the same way we were doing in Linux and OSX.
- Photometric IES files are now searched for in texture_searchpath.
- Removed the AutoTransparency Mode.
- The low_light_treshold and camera exposure parameters from the Arnold core have been exposed in the SItoA UI.
- "Use Autobump in SSS" checkbox added in the sampling tab to control whether displacement autobump is taken into account when computing sub-surface scattering.
- skin_sss has been removed.
- Removed cubic format from the sky and skydome light.
- Removed specular_brdf from standard shader: Since the Cook-Torrance is similar in performance to the Ward-Duer BRDF yet superior in quality due to its reduced edge darkening and higher energy conservation, the specular_brdf parameter has been removed from standard, leaving Cook-Torrance as the default (and only!) BRDF of the standard shader. Therefore, the look of existing standard shader-based materials that use the anisotropic Ward-Duer BRDF might change a little bit for the better.
- Removed the lens shaders defining the camera type; this is now done in the camera options property. We have also moved the DOF controls here as well, so DOF can be enabled per camera.