4 February 2015
This is a feature release, with much improved instancing performance.
This release uses Arnold 220.127.116.11 and OpenVDB 3.0.0.
Binaries available for the following Houdini or Houdini FX production builds:
and for the following platforms:
- Linux x86_64 (gcc4.4)
- Windows 7 x64 (vc11)
- Mac OS X 10.8+
Please note that Houdini Apprentice and Houdini Indie do not support third party renderers and thus cannot run HtoA.
Arnold 18.104.22.168 highlights
Faster curves: Up to 40% faster hair/curve rendering performance, up to 20% memory savings and 10% faster preprocessing.
Faster volumes: About 2x rendering speedup with little to no quality degradation.
- Parallel node initialization/update: Initialization and update of scene nodes can now be multi-threaded to lower the scene preparation time in complex scenes with many objects, shaders or lights.
- User normals in linear subdiv and displacement: User-specified polymesh vertex normals are now preserved and respected during displacement, and also when using linear subdivision.
- Autobump support for meshes with no UVs: The autobump detail enhancement now works for procedurally displaced polymeshes even when there are no UV texture coordinates.
- RGBA AOV composition: The A channel of RGBA AOVs is now fully composed as an additional alpha channel per AOV.
- Up to 128 threads: Arnold now allows for rendering with up to 128 threads (increased from 64).
- Complete rewrite of the instancing code for a 26x speedup (#474)
- Support for shared instances among multiples Instance OBJ (#474)
- New Arnold properties for instances (#474)
- Port to Houdini 14 (#414)
- Upgrade to OpenVDB 3 (#415)
- Shader categories submenus (H14 only) (#434)
- Support OGL viewport properties on Arnold shader networks (#502)
- Display Standard material properties in viewport (#502)
- Exception when no geometry is generated (#486)
- SEGFAULT when translating degenerate primitives (#504)
- Spaces not supported in AOV names (#503)
- Fast instancing fails when instance point normal is zero (#496)
- Transparently prefix "name" attributes (#494)
- RGB, RGBA and array of RGB or RGBA shader parameters should always be linear (#508)