What's new in Version 2.2
Based on version 220.127.116.11 of the Arnold core.
Highlighted new features:
• Softimage 2013 support.
• Preview standin in the viewport. See the SItoA Viewer section for details.
• Per-face displacement support (previously we only supported one displacement shader tree per object).
• Custom procedurals can be driven by data from ICE. See details here.
• Support for ICE materials system in Softimage 2012 and later.
• Custom user parameters on standins/procedural. See details here.
• Several new shaders ported (txt3d-marble, txt3d_checkerboard).
• Gamma Workflow in the sib_image_clip shader. Check the notes at ticket#506 comment:28.
Because displacement is now handled per-face, some of the parameters that previously were assigned in the material level (in sta_displacement) have been moved to the Arnold Parameters PPG, per object. This has the effect that displacement parameters from older scenes will break and have to be reapplied individually.
Based on version 18.104.22.168 of the Arnold core.
Highlighted new features:
• SSS Skin Shader added.
• *_Passthrough shaders added.
• Color Lookup map shader with texture map support added.
• ICE attributes on instanced lights. See Implementation details.
• Ability to embed a DataWindow when saving EXR files. It stores a tight bounding box around non-empty pixels in the image, which can greatly accelerate compositing operations in Nuke as it will bebe interpreted in as a ROI (Region Of Interest).
• Subframe deformation blur on ICE point clouds.
•Displacement Height no longer affects the displaced mesh's bounding box (i.e. the displacement "padding"). Now it only sets the scale for displacement. Displacement Padding must be set separately. If Displacement Padding is not set, you may get clipping artifacts in meshes with big displacements.
Version 2.0 of SItoA is based on version 4.0.1 of the Arnold core, and as such includes a number of important changes.
As the first version digit of the Arnold core changed, your license will need to be upgraded to remove the watermark. Contact us to obtain a new license file using the "licensing@..." email address.
Significant new features include:
• Transparency support for AOV. It is now possible to automatically compose through semi-opaque surfaces rendered using auto-transparency. You can enable this option (turned off by default because there is an associated performance hit in the Arnold core which will be improved for future releases) in the output tab of the renderer settings.
• The Hair shader now exposes direct_diffuse, direct_specular and indirect_diffuse AOVs.
• ICE attributes on polymesh objects. Constant, per polygon and varying data are supported. It works only with Softimage 2012 and newer. The supported attribute types are: boolean, integer, float, vector3 and rgba. Instance, 2d vectors etc. are not exported.
• Implemented the new handle based texture lookups in the image shader node. This can give around 1.2 times speedups in texture/autobump heavy scenes and in simple scenes with very long filenames the speedup was closer to 2 times.
• Smooth tangents for subdivision surfaces option. This feature only works with subdivided objects and allows to have Ward anisotropy with a non-faceted look (the object needs UV).
There are some incompatible changes introduced with Arnold 22.214.171.124. This will make older scenes to render different than in previous versions.
• Now lights have a decay control, which has been removed from the Light Decay filter. By default lights use a physically correct quadratic decay and linear and cubic light decay types have been removed.
• Decay clamp and Decay radius have therefore been removed from the Light Decay filter.
• The default value of the specular_roughness parameter in the Standard shader has changed from 0.467138 to 0.466905
• Remember that now the shaders and the procedurals search path obey rules specified on the wiki here.
• In this version, only AOVs of type RGB support transparency.