Besides the native C4D Save options in the render settings, you can use any Arnold driver to save the render output. For example, add an Arnold Driver (Plugins > C4DtoA > Arnold Driver) to the scene and select the driver_deepexr in the combo box.
The following built-in output drivers are available in Arnold:
In each case, you can specify a file name (or use the scene name if left blank) then choose various options depending on the output driver.
- Set your output to be tiled EXR, zip is fine.
- Set the bucket scanning method to 'top'.
- Use a viewer like imf_disp.
A custom sample filter can be defined for the driver or the default filter from the render settings can be used.
You can assign different AOVs for each driver in the render settings or by clicking on the Setup AOVs... button. The AOV name is used as a postfix of the file name (for example: /path/to/output_direct_diffuse.exr). Padding (# characters) can be used in the file path when rendering sequences (for example: /path/to/output_###.exr).
You can also define a custom path for an AOV if you select the AOV object under the driver and enable the Custom path option. You can use the $AOV token in the path which represents the name of the given AOV.
In multichannel images (e.g. EXR) the name of the AOV is used as the layer name by default. You can define a custom layer name if you enable the Custom layer name option.
Multichannel EXR file is saved when the Merge AOVs option is enabled.
Setup all AOVs required by the Arnold denoiser (Noice).
There is a current limitation which is you must render in EXR and Merge AOVs need to be enabled.
To create a driver to output image for the denoiser go to the Plugins > C4DtoA > Arnold Driver menu and select EXR driver for Arnold denoiser.
When a driver writes images to the disk, you can select from multiple options to define the file path.
- custom: You can define your path on the UI. You can use the $AOV token in the path which represents the AOV name (e.g. /path/to/$AOV_output.exr).
- custom (name from render settings): Define your path on the UI and use the Name settings from Render Settings > Save to define the padding and extension.
- from render settings (regular): Use the Path and Name settings from Render Settings > Save > Regular Image.
- from render settings (multipass): Use the Path and Name settings from Render Settings > Save > Multi-Pass Image.
In some situations, the native C4D Save option is not necessary, and you want to use only Arnold drivers for the render output.
In this case, you have to choose the custom Arnold drivers only (no output) format in the Save option. It does not write anything to the disk and basically disables the native save. It works with the command line render and Render Queue as well.
Note that you still have to set a path (e.g. for Render Queue) otherwise C4D does not start the render.