Let's start off by creating the scene where we will make our grass.
- Create a grid (Toolbar > Ctrl + Grid).
- Scale up the grid to 5 and rename it 'ground'.
- Go to mat and tab-create an Arnold Material Builder.
- Rename it 'ground'.
- Drag the material onto the grid to assign it.
- Enter the Arnold Material Builder and create a standard_surface shader.
- Connect the shader output to the Surface input of the OUT_material node.
- Set the base_color to a suitable soil earth brown color.
- Attach the vopnet to the ground grid.
- Go back to obj level and tab create an Arnold Light.
Under the Light tab:
- Set the exposure to 3.
- Set the samples to 3.
- Change the Light Type to Skydome.
- Change the Color Type to Shader.
- Click the GoTo arrow next to the Color Shader parameter path box. Tab-create a physical_sky and attach the output to the Color input of the OUT_light.
- Create an Environment Output, and attach the physical_sky1 to the background of the OUT_environment.
- Now go to Outputs and tab-create an Arnold ROP.
- Attach a shader to the Environment slot in the ROP by clicking on the operator chooser and clicking obj > arnold_light1 > shopnet and select arnold_vopnet.
- Create a camera (rename it to 'RenderCam', and render the scene in the Render View.
Now that we have some ground and lights, we can move onto creating the grass.