The <attr:> token works with both the Ai Image shader and Mayas File shader.
For example, in the situation below we have two spheres, and we want to apply separate textures to each one using the same shader.
- Assign a Standard Surface shader to both spheres and connect a file texture to the Base Color attribute.
- In the Image Name of the file node, type the following:
Where 'moon.jpg' is the name of the default texture.
<attr:> texture token
You should see that currently, both spheres receive the same texture map:
- To change the texture of one of the spheres, select the sphere and add an attribute to it - Attributes>Add Attribute. Remember to select its shape node first by pressing Select at the bottom of the attribute editor).
- In the Add Attribute window, type the following in Long name:
mtoa constant planet
- Select String under Data Type. This will allow us to type the name of the texture in the newly created attribute.
- Under extra attributes, you should see the new attribute Mtoa Constant Planet. Enter mars in the text field next to it.
- Rendering the scene reveals the default texture (
moon.jpg) and (
mars.jpg) is assigned to the sphere with the attribute Mtoa Constant Planet (mars).