- Open the model - sphere.obj. You should see the original subdivided cube called obj_base.
- Assign a Standard Surface shader to the sphere model. Create a Bitmap and open the file Diffuse_colour.jpg. Connect it to the Base Color and the SSS Color parameters.
- Add an Arnold Properties Modifier to the sphere.
- Create a Bitmap texture and open the vector displacement map - mudbox_vdisp.tif. Drag and drop the vector displacement bitmap onto the Displacement Map parameter in Displacement of the Arnold Properties Modifier.
Vector Space is set to Tangent
- Ensure that you have enough subdivisions for the sphere geometry otherwise the displacement will not look correct. In this case 6 iterations with Type set to Catclark is sufficient.
You can see a subtle difference in quality between 4 and 6 subdivision iterations in the images below.
That concludes this tutorial on rendering vector displacements from Mudbox with MAXtoA.